If you recently changed your legal immigrant status and need to link your old Social Security Number (SSN) to your new one, Qazi Law can help you with the SSN linking process. However, if you want to do it yourself, all you have to do is to simply follow the following steps:
- Visit your local Social Security Administration (SSA) office. You can find the nearest SSA office by visiting the SSA website and entering your ZIP code. Once you’ve identified the office nearest your residing address, you can make an appointment or visit during their office hours.
- Bring the necessary documents such as your U.S. driver’s license, state-issued non-driver identification card, or U.S. passport as proof of identity. These documents are vital in proving your identity and legal status so the SSA can start processing your request.
- Next step is to complete the application form. You will need to complete the application to apply for a new Social Security card and we highly suggest doing this before visiting the SSA. You can get this application at the SSA office, or you can download and complete it online before your visit.
- In the application, you will need to provide personal information, including your name, date of birth, and current address.
- Provide your old Social Security Number on the application. If you don’t remember your old number, the SSA can help you locate it by verifying your identity.
- Once you have completed the application and provided all the necessary documents, you will need to wait for your new Social Security card to arrive via snail mail. The process usually takes 7-10 business days.
- After receiving your new Social Security card, you must verify if your old and new SSNs are correctly linked. You can do this by contacting the SSA or by reviewing your earnings statements to make sure your previous earnings are correctly associated with your new SSN.
In summary, linking an old SSN to a new one when changing legal immigrant status involves visiting an SSA office, bringing the necessary documents, completing the application, providing your old SSN, waiting for your new card to arrive, and verifying that the old and the new SSNs are linked.
We know people are always busy and often don’t have extra time to do this process. This is why we are here to help you in linking your SSN numbers for you! We’d be more than happy to assist you for a nominal fee and help you save time and effort!
Call our office to know more by dialing 630-504-0648 or by visiting our office at 1049 East Wilson St. Suite 170 Batavia IL 60510.
Follow us on social media to learn more about what we do and check out our daily updates and trivia about immigration-related topics, questions, and trends.
Facebook: Qazi Law Offices
LinkedIn: Qazi Law offices